We have added the following to list of congregations that have voted to leave the ELCA:
1. Hope Lutheran Church, Fosston, MN vote July 10 to leave the ELCA, 130-37. Their first vote passed last Fall but the second vote failed this past May. We are uncertain at this time if this vote is being counted as second vote or the first vote in a new process to withdraw. We will report when this matter is clarified.
THEY ARE STARTING OVER. THIS WAS THEIR SECOND EFFORT AT A FIRST VOTE!
2. Peace Lutheran Church, Linton, ND has left the ELCA.
3. Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Goodland, KS passed its second vote to leave the ELCA May 1.
4. Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Harlan, IA has left the ELCA.
5. St. John Lutheran Church, Stacy, MN passed second vote to leave the ELCA May 1. They have joined the LCMC.
6. Salem Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Long Lake, SD passed first vote to leave the ELCA June 26, 25-1.
New start: The first worship service for a new congregation being organized in Nevis, MN will be held July 17 at 9:30 a.m. at the Nevis School. This new start is the result of a failed second vote at Bethany Lutheran Church in Nevis a few weeks ago.
Known congregations voting to leave the ELCA Sunday July 17 include:
1. Bethel Lutheran Church, Nobelsville, IN *
2. St. Jacob Lutheran Church, Chapin, SC **
3. Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne, IN *
At this time the total congregations that have completed their second vote to leave the ELCA stands at 535. At least 70 other congregations have successfully taken their first vote and now await their second vote. The combined membership loss (since August 2009) for the ELCA from these 605 congregations stands at 298,892.