This Blog's purpose is to offer information about congregations voting to leave the ELCA. Pastor Barnhart's other Blog offers information about current news events relating to the Church and the nation. It may be found here: http://livinginthetimes.blogspot.com/



Friday, April 6, 2012

WHY WE CALL THIS FRIDAY "GOOD"




 
Good Friday is the day God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that “while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).



Of all the days in the calendar of man, none is like Good Friday, the day Christ took our sins upon Himself, died in our place that we might be made righteous in the sight of God.


 
 Paul describes the gospel message so fully and clearly:



“Now I make known in you brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures” (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).


 
The apostle Peter reminds us that we were redeemed “not with perishable things like silver or gold…but with the precious blood, as a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ” (1 Peter 1:18-19).


 
Yes, in order for us to be make right with God, Jesus willingly shed His blood—the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.



Paul makes the way of salvation plain: “…that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9).


 
The Bible asks a most profound question to those who have heard the glorious message of Christ’s divine atonement: “How will we escape if we neglect so great a salvation?” (Hebrews 2:3). 


 
God wants to make this Friday is Good for you. If you have never received God's free gift of eternal life or if you are uncertain about your relationship with Him, pray:



Lord, I am sinner. I believe Christ died for my sins on the cross. I believe he rose again from the dead for my justification. I earnestly repent of my sins and ask you to cleanse me through His precious blood. Write my name in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit that He might enable me to lead a life of victory and hope. This I pray by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me. Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment